As a paid registrant of the 2020 SoCal Christian Writers’ Virtual Conference, you can take advantage of all these valuable bonus offerings.
Pre-Conference Book Proposal Critique with Stephanie Alton
There is great power in a book proposal. It has the potential to secure your dream of having a traditional publishing home for your book or extend the time frame before your words are printed, bound, and sold.
A solid book proposal can keep you on track as you write and help you stand out when it’s time to pitch your idea. It can help your agent assess where you’re at and determine what types of issues you’re up against. Ultimately, a proposal can be a helpful tool for your editor to use to win over a pub board.
Many new writers, and some published authors, are intimidated by this important business document. The details can seem daunting and confusing.
Wouldn’t you love to talk with a literary agent about your proposal before meeting industry professionals at the SoCal Christian Writers’ Virtual Conference and get help figuring out how to make it the best it can be? Well, SoCal faculty member Stephanie Alton can make that wish come true.
Stephanie will look at up to ten pages of your proposal and give you constructive written feedback on how you can highlight the best-selling points of your idea to the editors and agents you’ll meet in your appointments at the conference. She will then talk to you one-on-one, via audio call or video chat, and answer your questions about her feedback or other aspects of your proposal. This will give you the opportunity to polish your proposal before your appointment during the conference.
This interactive process will help you feel more comfortable when you talk to industry professionals in July. If you’re at ease, you’ll be able to present yourself and your book idea with confidence.
To get your pre-conference book proposal critique, after you have registered send an email with a copy of your confirmation to Stephanie Alton for instructions.
One-On-One Mentoring with Frank Ball
Boost your writing and storytelling skills
$59 (a $249 value!)
Frank Ball will evaluate up to 2,000 words of your work-in-progress. He will then prepare extensive substantive editing, critique, and rewrite suggestions. He will prepare online copies of his suggestions for your one-on-one thirty-minute Zoom consultation with him.
After you’ve completed your conference registration, email your confirmation letter and a Word document with up to 2,000 words of your work-in-progress to Frank Ball to schedule your appointment.
This offer is on a first-come, first-served basis until Frank’s appointment times fill up or until June 30. Register soon to ensure you get a spot, and submit your manuscript early.
Read Frank’s bio on our Faculty page.
Computer Lab with Julie Williams
Personalized Help with Microsoft Word
$25 (a $50 value!)
Need help formatting your manuscript to industry standards? Want to learn how to organize your document using styles? Wish you could easily find all the places you accidentally double-spaced? Having trouble creating footnotes, endnotes, or a table of contents? Heard about macros but don’t know what they are or how to use them? Can’t figure out how to get rid of those pesky spaces at the end of your paragraphs?
Sign up with Julie Williams for a one-hour, one-on-one, personalized Microsoft Word tutorial.
- Tutorials in Microsoft Excel, Publisher, and PowerPoint or in Adobe Photoshop and InDesign are also available upon request.
- Tutorials will be held in private online sessions.
After you’ve completed your conference registration, send an email with your registration confirmation to Julie Williams to schedule your appointment time.
Computer Lab sessions are on a first-come, first-served basis until Julie’s appointment times fill up. Register soon to ensure you get a spot on her schedule.
Contest for Publication–First Book Award
Twenty to twenty-five writers will be chosen for inclusion in a book titled, Whispers of Grace, published by Living Parables, an imprint of EABooks Publishing, making them “published” authors. Authors will be able to purchase books at a reduced rate and keep the profit from their sales.
- For unpublished authors (can have articles, blogs, or online content published either paid or unpaid, but not a book for which royalties were paid)
- Must be registered for Tier 3 or Tier 4 for the conference.
- Only those who follow the full submission guidelines will be considered
- Only one submission per person registered for the conference
- Can submit a short story, article, devotional, poem, or prayer
- 1500 word limit
- Include a 50-word bio at the end of your submission, a title and your name with contact information (email, address, and phone number) at the top of the first page of the submission (none of this is included in submission word count total)
- Standard manuscript format (Times New Roman, 12pt font, double spaced, 1 inch margins, Microsoft Word doc or docx)
- Send your confirmation email and submissions as email attachment (not in the body of the email) to firstname.lastname@example.org midnight July 3, 2020 and include SoCal in the subject line.
- Those that best reflect the theme, Whispers of Grace, meet submission guidelines, and represent the best writing of a new author, will be chosen for inclusion in the book. Winners will be announced during the conference.
Have you already registered for the conference and would like to take advantage of one or more of these bonuses? You may update your registration by creating a registration account. Once your account is ready, you may add bonuses to your registration. Click here to begin the process.